Print thread view
QLD Nissan Patrol 4WD Club Inc. | Visitors & Registered Users | General Chat
Author New to 4WD
A_Deleted_User

Posted on 25-06-2008 22:35
Hello all,

I have finally (after years of Sedan driving) ventured into the wide world of 4wd.. Have just brought a GUIV MY05 ST with dual battery system, snorkel, tow bar and a few other bits n pieces.

I'm basically looking for some guidance / recommendations for the following:

1. 4WD Training Course
2. Which UHF - I'm looking at GME TX 4400
3. Bullbar - ??? So many out there (also need lights)
4. What's needed for the basic revocery kits etc?

What other advice on the vehicle or anything that anyone might be able to offer.

Sorry if this might seem all stupid to regulars, but I'm excited that I just want to make sure i get it right

Thanks

Marcus
http://basti2web.de Send Private Message
Author RE: New to 4WDing
kanofski

Posted on 26-06-2008 08:17
Hi Marcus,

The best place to find the answer to all these questions is a 4WD Club. Most clubs run a Driver Awareness (Training) Course when you join. This will give you some basis skills on how to handle your vehicle and also teach you a little about the vehicle. You will also be given ideas about what recovery equipment is required. The Nissan Club has for sale to members most equipment you will require at competitive prices. Bull bars are to a certain extent personal choice. A steel one offers better protection, but is heavier. I think if you stay with the major suppliers, ARB or TJM you can't go far wrong. There are a couple of other manufacturers out there who also make great looking bars. I guess it comes down to personal choice and which one you like the look of, if you are looking at driving lights you need to make sure that they fit into the available space on the bar.
Great to hear you have been bitten by the bug and hope the vehicle gives you many years of great service
We meet on the third Monday night of each month at the Mt Gravatt Showgrounds with the meeting starting at 7.40pm. If you want to come along just drive down to the back of the showgrounds and you will see a number of 4WD's and we meet in the adjacent hall
Hope to see you there

Noel